[R-sig-ME] corSymm, nlme issue

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 21 17:18:36 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Afshartous,
David<DAfshartous at med.miami.edu> wrote:

> All,

> In the course of investigating yesterday's post by Fabian Mollet ([R-sig-ME]
> weighting nlme and multivariate outcomes), I've noticed an issue with
> corSymm. I am getting the error message below even for identical commands
> used from Pinheiro & Bates (p.235).  Perhaps there was a discussion on this
> previously but I didn't see anything in the archives.

This is an issue of long standing in the nlme package.  In S and
S-PLUS we could define a generic function "initialize".  In R that
name is overridden in the methods package and redefining it would
break a lot of code (possibly not now that there are namespaces but we
didn't have namespaces at the time that nlme was ported to R).  For R
the name was changed to Initialize