[R-sig-ME] Unable to fit glmer with family=binomial(link=identity)

David Evans evans at u707.jussieu.fr
Wed Aug 19 17:03:12 CEST 2009

Fellow R-users,

I need to estimate the "risk difference" (in epidemiological
terminology) for a neighbourhood-level exposure (e.g. presence of parks)
with a binary outcome adjusted on 5 or so covariables. Study
participants are clusted by neighbourhood .  I was hoping to use a
generalized linear mixed model with the code:

mod  <-  glmer(outcome ~ exposure + (1 | neighbourhood),
family=binomial(link=identity), data=rec)

but the identity link is not available for the binomial family with
glmer (or for glmmPQL).  Is there any way to do this with lme4 or is
there another package in R which could fix my problem?

I'd be very grateful for any help.

David.

--
David Evans
UMR-S 707 Inserm - Université Pierre et Marie Curie - Paris 6