[R-sig-ME] weighting nlme and multivariate outcomes

Afshartous, David DAfshartous at med.miami.edu
Wed Aug 19 16:29:08 CEST 2009

Fabian,

RE defining weights, see section 5.2.1 in Pinheiro & Bates (Mixed Effects Models in S and S-Plus).
RE correlation structures, see section 5.3.3.   While these sections are with respect to the univariate mixed model, note that the multivariate mixed model is analogous to the univariate mixed model that is stratified per some grouping such as say gender.  For instance, as far as the data structure goes, there is no difference if we have 2 variables on 10 subjects over time versus  1 variable on 10 subjects over time for males and females.   Of course, the different scenarios will most likely lead to different model assumptions.

While I haven't used the corrrelation = corSymm for a multivariate mixed model in nlme, I have used varIdent to specify different error variances for the different response variables in the multivariate setting.  Just set up your model as specified in the Doran & Lockwood reference below, and include weights = varIdent(form ~ weights = Ind), where Ind is an indicator variable that identifies each separate response variable. What I would like to do is have the error variances also correlated across the different response variables, but only when they are both measured at the same time point.  I'll check this out again and let you know if this and your structure is possible.

Although it's respect to SAS, a good reference that provides insight into the various assumptions in the multivariate mixed model and the resulting structure of the covariance matrices is:
On the use of PROC MIXED to Estimate Correlation in the Presence of Repeated Measures by Hamlett, Ryan, and Wolfinger (comes up via google)

Cheers,
David