[R-sig-ME] mcmcsamp error message...

Petar Milin pmilin at ff.uns.ac.rs
Wed Aug 12 19:27:56 CEST 2009

Hello!
I am puzzled with an error message that mcmcsamp for models with random
correlation parameters is not implemented yet. However, this would be
the case only with the model:
lmer(rt ~ FACTOR1 + COVARIATE1 + COVARIATE2 + COVARIATE3 +
(1+FACTOR1|subject) + (1|item) + (0+COVARIATE3|item), data=dat)
And same with:
lmer(rt ~ FACTOR1 + COVARIATE1 + COVARIATE2 + COVARIATE3 +
(1|subject) + (0+FACTOR1|subject) + (1|item) + (0+COVARIATE3|item),
data=dat)

If I run just:
lmer(rt ~ FACTOR1 + COVARIATE1 + COVARIATE2 + COVARIATE3 +
(1|subject) + (1|item) + (0+COVARIATE3|item), data=dat)
mcmcsamp ends fine.

I guess that the problem is in the fact that subjects were assigned
(randomly) to only one level of the FACTOR1. Am I right?

I think, previously, mcmcsamp handled this kind of nesting, but I might
be wrong.

What is strange to me that much more complex model (like the one where I
got significant interaction between non-linear covariate and
random-effect of participants -- subject) worked perfectly fine. Also,
leaving only (0+COVARIATE3|item) is okay with mcmcsamp.

Best,
Petar Milin