[R-sig-ME] CHOLMOD error in lmer-specifying nested random effects

Eli Swanson eliswanson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 16:28:20 CEST 2009

Hi Emmanuel,

    Ok, point very well taken, all my values are integers, but you are
correct that they were discretized by the measurement process.

    In that case, is there any input on what the current state of
negative binomial distributions is?  My understanding is that one can
use lmer as long as you specify a theta value, or use glmmADMB.  Are
these approaches still valid?  The conversations I found on the boards
were a couple years old.  Do you think I would I be better off using
one of the transformations you suggest?

Thanks!
Eli

--