[R-sig-ME] An advice needed on paper statistical analysis description

Ofir Levy levyofi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 17:41:25 CEST 2009

Dear list members,

I in the final stages of writing a paper which summarized some of my PhD
aspects. I did a lot of mixed effects modelling. I have started with the
lme function (I prefer it on `lmer` becuase it is more documented and
more flexible in terms of weight and correlation structures). I came out
with non-convincing p-values (As Zuur's 2009 book describes it - between
0.001 to 0.1) on most models so I decided to run the models with MCMC
simulations using BUGS with the JAGS software in order to make
statistical inferences from the confidence intervals. Some models are
simple ANOVAs with random effects and sometimes a variance structure and
some models are ANCOVA models. I also used a GLMM with negative binomial
distribution model with dispersion parameter structure using JAGS. This
latter kind of model is not yet implemented in R as well as I know.

Now I wonder what to write on the paper. I guess I should explain why I
used the somehow more complex approach (writing the models myself in
JAGS) and I hope the reviewers will not reject the paper... I want to
submit the paper to Ecology and most papers in this journal with BUGS
analysis are much more complex and unique to a specific problem.

I will be thankful to hear your advices.

Thanks,

Ofir.