[R-sig-ME] over-dispersed Poisson with lmer -- a trick, with a catch?

David Atkins datkins at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 16 18:01:15 CEST 2009

Hi all--

I'm currently working on analyses of longitudinal count data (number of
drinking related problems over 2 years in a randomized trial for alcohol
interventions).

The data are pretty clearly over-dispersed relative to Poisson, which is
  clear when I fit the model using MCMCglmm, which includes a residual
error term to account for over-dispersion (thank you, Jarrod!).

However, I'm collaborating with a colleague who uses Stata.  He
mentioned that Sophia Rabe-Hesketh in her mixed-models book discusses
fitting over-dispersed Poisson mixed-effects models using the following
"trick":

Create a new variable with a unique value for each observation and
include this as an additional random-effect term.

Basically, this will soak up any residual dispersion, over and above
that accounted for in Poisson model and other random-effects.  On the
face of it, it makes sense to me.  Though, we hit a snag in trying to do
this in lmer().  Using the data that I have been analyzing:

### create new var with unique value for each obs/row
 > snap.df$over <- 1:nrow(snap.df)

### include as separate random-effect in model
 > rapi.glmer2.1 <- glmer(rapisum ~ asex*time + (time|ID) + (1|over),
+ 					data = snap.df, verbose = TRUE,
+ 					family = poisson)
Error in mer_finalize(ans) : q = 5252 > n = 3616

So, we already have a random intercept and slope for time [ie,
(time|ID)].  With 818 participants the random-effects specify 818
intercepts plus 818 slopes, and now with an observation level
random-effect [ie, (1|over)] with 3616 observations... we get 5252
estimates.  lmer() doesn't like it.

I know there's been a bit of chatter about this error before, and I
believe Doug mentioned that it was to avoid people radically
over-parameterizing/over-fitting their data via random-effects.  Though,
I believe there is some room for debate (ie, the model above does not
fit 5252 unique parameters).

Anyhow, I would be curious for any input on:

1. Does this seem like a sensible approach to account for
over-dispersion?  (caveat: I don't have Rabe-Hesketh's book, so just
going on recounting from colleague)

2. If so, I wonder if we might be able to coax Doug to change the error
to an argument in the model (that defaults to the error msg but could be
over-ridden)?

cheers, Dave

--
Dave Atkins, PhD