[R-sig-ME] lmer vs glmmPQL

Ken Beath ken at kjbeath.com.au
Tue Jun 30 09:16:40 CEST 2009

On 27/06/2009, at 4:21 AM, Ben Bolker wrote:

>  That's really interesting and kind of scary.
>  Do you have any thoughts on why this should be so?
>  I know of a few simulation studies (Browne and Draper, Breslow) that
> test PQL and generally find reasonably "significant" bias for binary
> data with large random variance components.  I guess I had simply
> assumed that Laplace/AG(H)Q would be better.  (There are also some
> theoretical demonstrations (Jiang?) that PQL is asymptotically
> inconsistent, I think ...)

MLE for nonlinear models are biased, so it is not unexpected that
Laplace etc will be biased.

It appears that PQL with moderate random effect variance introduces a
small bias in a direction that reduces the MSE, at least in the
simulations chosen. For large variances the bias is probably excessive
and the MSE will increase using PQL.

Ken