[R-sig-ME] Modeling correlation structure in mixed models

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Mon Jun 29 09:25:46 CEST 2009

Dear all,

A small remark on Gregor comment about the correlation structure in
lme4. It can handle two kind of correlation structures within the random
effects: a symmetric variance-covariance matrix (unstructured in SAS
terminology) and independent random effects.

lmer(y ~ a + (1 + x|b))
#symmetric variance-covariance matrix
z11 z12
Z12 z22
#equivalent to the default in nlme (pdSymm)

lmer(y ~ a + (1|b) + (x - 1|b))
#indepent random effects
z11 0
0   z22
#equivalent to pdDiag in nlme

nlme allows for several other correlation structures. Have a look at
?pdClasses. If you can't find the structure you need / like, then you
can allow code your own pdClass. But if you have a limited number of
years and a lot of data, then I would stick to an existing structure
like pdSymm. It will be less efficient than the 'true' structure in your
data, but you need much less assumptions on your model.

HTH,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey