[R-sig-ME] lmer: problem in crossed random effect model with verydifferent variances

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Wed Jun 17 21:48:58 CEST 2009

Michael

I'll take a quick stab at this, but there is really no way to know what
the issue is given that there is no real description of your data.
First, SAS and lmer use different algorithms for generating parameter
estimates, so it's no surprise that the world does not line up exactly
between the two. However, the estimates should be similar.

Lmer used REML by default. What did you use in SAS, ML or REML