[R-sig-ME] forcing uncorrelated random effects

Claus Wilke cwilke at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 11 19:58:23 CEST 2009

Dear list,

by default, lmer assumes that random effects are correlated. Is it possible to
force them to be uncorrelated?

Specifically, assume I'm measuring cell counts in multiple patients over time,
and want to fit the following two models:
> m1 = lmer( count ~ (1|patient)+time )
> m2 = lmer( count ~ (time|patient)+time )
Model 2 has two additional parameters over model 1, a variance of random
slopes and a covariance of random slopes and random intercepts. How do I
specify a model that has random slopes but no covariance between slopes and
intercepts?

Thanks a lot,
  Claus

--