[R-sig-ME] GLMM-Implementation question

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 11 18:06:28 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Fabian
Scheipl<Fabian.Scheipl at stat.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> Never mind me, the answer to the second question is:
> update_u (called by update_dev) iteratively updates the orthonormalized
> random effects until convergence each time before S_nlminb_iterate is
> called.

Yes.  I was about to write that.

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Fabian Scheipl <
> Fabian.Scheipl at stat.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>> Dear List,
>>
>> Preparing the slides for a lecture on GLMMs I'm giving next week I noticed
>> that I don't quite understand eq. 40 (Laplace Approximation of a
>> GLMM-Likelihood) in the Implementation-vignette for lme4.
>> I would be extremely grateful  (my students as well, of course, but
>> probably significiantly less so ;) ) if somebody would find the time to
>> offer his/her thoughts on some of the following points:
>>
>> I do not understand how the expression that is exponentiated  in the second
>> line is equivalent to the quadratic Taylor-approximation of the penalized
>> log-likelihood around the conditional mode \tilde b.
>>
>> AFAIU the first two terms in the sum is just the penalized log-likelihood
>> evaluated at the conditional modes \tilde b. The first term is the
>> likelihood of y conditional on fixed and random effects, the second is
>> equivalent to \tilde b ' G^{-1} \tilde b.
>> [should be \tilde b^\star ' \tilde b^\star instead of  \tilde b ' \tilde
>> b^\star, I think? Also, there are two plus signs after that].

I would have to go back and look at that document more carefully to be
able to answer these questions.  Unfortunately I am in "crunch mode"
on another project right now and I don't think I will be able to free
up the time today.