[R-sig-ME] Rasch with lme4

Reinhold Kliegl reinhold.kliegl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 11:28:10 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 6:38 AM, David Duffy<David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Reinhold Kliegl wrote:

> versus

>>> Most people would prefer something like the first model, and in fact
>>> would
>>> estimate the correlation between IQ and E estimated (as if without error)
>>> from two measurement models given by the scoring rules for the instruments
>>> (these are essentially BLUPs).  Incorporating measurement error for both
>>> measures is the truest way to do it.
>>>
>> Always interested to be corrected...
>>
>> My comment was referring to the use of conditional modes (formerly known
>> as BLUPs)--extracted with ranef()--not bootstrap or SEM. Not sure to what
>> degree these alternatives correspond to the use of conditional modes.  As
>> far as conditional modes are concerned, we (Kliegl, Masson, & Richter)  have
>> a paper in press (available at my publication page), in which we write the
>> following:
>>
>> To this end, we generated 100,000 sets of data for a simple LMM model
>> including 30 ?subjects? and a predictor with 10 levels, conforming to a
>> known variance for intercept and slope across subjects and varying the true
>> correlation between these parameters from -0.9 to +0.9 in 2,000 steps (i.e.,
>> each simulation used a different correlation). ...
>> ... [C]onditional means underestimate variances and exaggerate covariances
>> and correlations. The shrinkage of variance reflects the contribution of the
>> likelihood in the computation of conditional means. Shrinkage correction for
>> predictions leads to dampening of the variance components, but, as we have
>> shown in this section, not of the associated covariance component. The
>> shrinkage of variance prevents overfitting of unreliable data but, as a
>> curious side effect, the "correlations" based on conditional means for
>> individual subjects are larger in absolute value than the corresponding LMM
>> estimates of the correlation.
>>

> Well I'm not sure how much that reflects the specific model you have
> simulated, and I don't have the time right now to do simulations based on
> the original poster's setup.  (I have experienced your problems with
> shrinkage etc in a simple minded attempt to carry out genetic linkage
> analysis of breeding values (BLUPs) estimated from the same pedigree). And I
> would concur with your postscript.  And I will study your paper with great
> interest.
>
> However, the impression I have is that usually the effects of just plugging
> in the factor scores when they are based on, say, 20 or 30 individual items
> with a straightforward structure are not too misleading, and are just what
> people have been doing for the last 50 years. I am currently comparing
> results from a two-stage mixed model analysis of BLUPs from an IRT (carried
> out in BUGS) analysis of multiple ordinal measures adjusting for multiple
> fixed covariates to results of analyses I am performing on the original
> [...]

You are correct that the models are not identical. I assume that the
problem of variance dampening of conditional modes will generalize to
the model under consideration, but one should simulate the specific
model--always a good idea until an analytic answer is available.

I also assumed the Jereon Oom's interest was in demonstrating a
relation between IQ and extroversion, irrespective of the specific
model. If the interest is in the specific correlation, there may
actually be an alternative. The sabreR package allows to estimate the
correlation between up to three dependent variables at the "subject"
level while at the same time allowing for the specification of a
"causal" path between them at the "observation" level (i.e., a
multivariate generalized linear mixed model). I think the
"correlation" model (i.e., m3 below) would be specified as follows:

attach(mydata)
m1 <- sabre(y ~ 1, case=subject, first.link="probit")
m1

m2 <- sabre(extroversion ~ 1, case=subject, first.family="gaussian")
m2

m3 <- sabre(y ~ 1 + extroversion,
                     extroversion ~ 1,
                     case=subject, first.family="binomial",
second.family="gaussian")
m3
detach()

m3 estimates (among other variance components)  a correlation between
the intercepts for y and extroversion across subjects.

The limitation is that sabreR does not allow the specification of
crossed random factors (i.e., of subjects and items). In this respect,
I agree with Harold Dolan on a different branch on this thread. Also
with sabreR you can only estimate the variance of the intercept of the
random effects, not the variance of the fixed effects (or their
associated covariances).  I should also say that I have only checked
out some of the examples in this package. So my experience is very
limited.

Reinhold Kliegl