[R-sig-ME] Rasch with lme4

Ken Beath ken at kjbeath.com.au
Tue Jun 9 00:04:16 CEST 2009

The model treats item as a random effect and should be a fixed effect.

A problem with the first model is that the random effect estimates are
treated as though they were measured without error, when aren't. This
results in attenuation of the parameter estimate. On teh other hand
people use it and find it OK. A better method is to use modern SEM
software that handles binary variables.

At a first glance Model 2 seems sensible.

Another question to ask is whether the Rasch model is appropriate. If
an IRT is more sensible it would cause some problems with the second
model.

Ken