[R-sig-ME] Poor man's metaregression with lmer ?

Emmanuel Charpentier charpent at bacbuc.dyndns.org
Sat May 23 09:28:37 CEST 2009

Le samedi 23 mai 2009 à 07:50 +1000, David Duffy a écrit :
> On Fri, 22 May 2009, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
>
> > One obvious solution is mima : transform each failure rate f in logit
> > (log(f/(1-f)) with estimated variance 1/(n*f+0.5)+1/(n*(1-f)+0.5). With
> > a hiccup : three of the series have no failure or no success (yes, both
> > can happen ...), which gives an infinite log(OR). Ouch ! Excluding them
> > is not acceptable, and adding 0.5 to all counts (aka "continuity
> > correction") will anyway be judged passe by the panel ...
>
> You just have to explain that you are using maximum penalized likelihood,
> with the Jeffreys invariant prior as penalty function ;).

:-)) *I* won't face a panel : the student who (foolishly ? ) seeked my
help will...

>                                                            See the brlr
> and logistf packages and refs.  If you did have time to failure, there
> is also a coxphf.  We usually present results from both the fixed
> and random effects metaanalysis -- your lmer code looks OK to me.

Thank you for your review ! So lmer() it probably will be (but I'll
check the mima() approximation...).

What a pity that lme4 doesn't (yet ...) have covariance and correlation
modelling functions...

					Emmanuel Charpentier