[R-sig-ME] Newbie looking for documentation

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Thu May 21 19:04:44 CEST 2009

I like Gelman and Hill too, but it is not very helpful for people
interested in hypothesis testing.  It is, I think, written mainly for
those who work in fields (including many in the social sciences) where
it makes sense to say that "the null hypothesis is always false."
That is bothersome to those of us who design careful experiments
explicitly to give the null hypothesis a real chance (and where all
too often it grasps the opportunity).

If this is your situation, I recommend Bates's article in R-news:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2005-1.pdf
and the papers in the last issue of the Journal of Memory and
Language, 2008, or maybe the one before that, starting with Baayen,
Davidson, and Bates.

Jon

Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
Editor: Judgment and Decision Making (http://journal.sjdm.org)