[R-sig-ME] false convergence glmer when quadratic terms are included

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue May 19 16:06:25 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 5:32 AM, ONKELINX, Thierry
<Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be> wrote:
> Dear Stijn,

> Why don't you use poly(x, 2) instead? Adding x^2 with large or small
> values will lead to even larger or smaller values. That may cause the
> model to become unstable. Poly(x, 2) will avoid that by rescaling.

> glmer(y~(1|level2id)+poly(x,2),family=binomial,data=data)

Exactly.

The general advice in a case like this is to add the optional argument

verbose = TRUE

in the call to glmer so that you get a display of the progress of the
iterations.   Take a look at

example(cbpp)

You will see that a line in the trace output is of the form

 16:     100.09586: 0.642264 -1.39853 -0.992327 -1.12866 -1.58032

where the first number is the iteration number, the second is the
current value of the deviance, the third is the standard deviation of
the random effects and the fourth and subsequent numbers are the
values of the fixed-effects parameters.  It is likely that one of the
fixed-effects parameters is very large or very small in your original
form of the model.