[R-sig-ME] false convergence glmer when quadratic terms are included

Stijn Ruiter s.ruiter at maw.ru.nl
Tue May 19 12:18:25 CEST 2009

Dear all,
Somehow I always get false convergence warnings when including a
quadratic term in a glmer equation. With lmer I have no such problems.
So, my guess is that this has to do with the different algorithm used
for glmer models.
The following example model (which can easily be estimated in
alternative mixed effects programs such as MLwiN or HLM) result in problems:

glmer(y~(1|level2id)+x+I(x^2),family=binomial,data=data)

It leads to:
Warning message:
In mer_finalize(ans) : false convergence (8)

What is the problem here? Why these convergence issues?

Stijn

--
Best regards,

Stijn Ruiter