[R-sig-ME] refit, update and the like

Juan Pedro Steibel steibelj at msu.edu
Tue May 12 23:22:14 CEST 2009

Hello everyone,
I have a questions on refitting models using lmer. Some time ago, I
asked about refitting the same model (X,Z,R) to many responses and was
pointed at the refit function as a more efficient alternative to just
running lmer() function iteratively.
My question now is, suppose I want to change only one column from X (say
replace covariate X1 with covariate X2), is there a faster way that just
re-fitting the model with lmer. update() does not seem to be working for
doing that in my case. I can update to drop only one random effect from
the model but when I try to drop other terms, I get an error message.

Thanks in advance,
JP

--
=============================