[R-sig-ME] glmer: variable sequence matters?

Ken Beath ken at kjbeath.com.au
Mon Apr 20 01:43:26 CEST 2009

This isn't very surprising, nonlinear optimisation tends to give slightly
different results depending on slight changes to things like starting
values or parameterisation. Sometimes this can be fixed by changes to the
convergence criteria (these don't seem to be accessible in nlmer) but
there can also be problems because the likelihood is not smooth around the
optimum due to numerical errors. There can be massive problems due to
multi-modal likelihoods but in your case results are well within the
standard errors, so there is obviously nothing wrong.

Ken