[R-sig-ME] R2 for lme

Christina Bogner christina.bogner at uni-bayreuth.de
Tue Apr 7 09:59:13 CEST 2009

Hello,

as Dr. Bates already mentioned, you can define different R2. I used the
formula proposed by Edwards et al (2008): An R-2 statistic for fixed
effects in the linear mixed model, Statistics in Medicine 27(29):
6137-6157. He compares a mixed-effects model with an empty model
containing the same random-effects, but only the intercept as a
fixed-effect. With his approach, you only need to fit the full model, so
that the random-effects remain the same. To show the overall "goodness"
of my models, I calculated the correlation coefficient between the
fitted and the observed values.

HTH

Christina