[R-sig-ME] lmer: ML and REML estimation

Brant Inman brant.inman at me.com
Wed Mar 25 03:10:21 CET 2009

Experts:

I am writing a paper using the results that I obtained this week with
lmer (thanks Doug Bates).  I wanted to clarify one technical point
about lmer to make sure that I understand its mechanics correctly when
reporting my statistical methods in the paper.

I used lmer to fit several multilevel logistic regression models.  The
help page for lmer states that these binomial models are estimated
with maximum likelihood (ML) methods.  My high-level reading on linear
mixed effects models has suggested that REML estimates are better than
ML estimates, I wondered whether non-linear likelihoods, like those of
the binomial models that I have used, can be estimated with REML
methods or not.  If this question is obviously stupid, keep in mind
that I am just a dumb surgeon, not a statistician.

Brant Inman