[R-sig-ME] Multilevel logistic regression

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Mar 23 19:05:10 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Brant Inman <brant.inman at me.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the dumb last question. I still find some of the more technical computer/programming aspects of R a bit confusing :)

> I just realized after reading Ewe Ligges article on source code in Rnews 6/4 that my copy of R is the binary copy and therefore does not allow me to access the stuff you said. I did download the package in source format and did find the appropriate error message that I could perhaps comment out.  I guess that I will need to reinstall R from source to get myself on the right track.

Not quite.  As you have seen, installing a source package under
Windows is, shall we say, involved, but there are instructions in the
"R Installation and Administration Manual" (section 6.3.1) on how to
set up an installation environment without needing to go to the
lengths of compiling R from sources.  Personally, I avoid the problem
by only using Linux but others may not find this a suitable solution.

Of course, after next week we may not need to be concerned about
computers running Windows. :-)  Apparently the Conficker worm, which
is widespread on networked Windows computers, has an alarm set for
April 1, 2009 and it is not yet known how severe the consequences will
be when this alarm goes off.  Windows users are advised to back up
their data before the end of the month.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/the-conficker-worm-april-fools-joke-or-unthinkable-disaster/