[R-sig-ME] Variable transformation and back transformation

Christina Bogner christina.bogner at uni-bayreuth.de
Thu Mar 12 08:49:27 CET 2009

Dear all,

I have fitted a couple of mixed-effects models to environmental data
(chemical and physical soil parameters) with log-transformed dependent
variables. I tried generalized mixed-models, but the results were not
satisfactory (probably because I am a soil scientist and not a
statistician ;-)) Now, as log of concentrations are ecologically not
very informative, I would like to back-transform my model parameters.
Taking a Gaussian linear mixed-model:

log(Mg2)=intercept+beta1*Silt+beta2*Soil.depth+beta3*Flow.region+b1*Plot+b2*/Soil.Depth%in%Plot+var

where Mg2 is the concentration of magnesium, betas are fixed-effects and
bs random ones. All independent variables except Silt are factors; Silt
is continuous.

I would write:
Mg2=exp(intercept+beta1*mean(Silt in respective
Soil.Depth)+beta3*Flow.region+estimate of b1*Plot + estimate of
b2*/Soil.Depth%in%Plot+0.5*var)
to back-transform to the original scale on the Soil.Depth-level.

To back-transform the fixed-effects only, I would drop the estimates of
the random-effects:
Mg2=exp(intercept+beta1*mean(Silt in respective
Soil.Depth)+beta3*Flow.region+ 0.5*var)

This approach treats the estimated random effects as dummies, not as an
additional variance. Is this right?

Thanks a lot for your help

Christina Bogner