[R-sig-ME] No estimated scale value given

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Tue Feb 17 21:23:28 CET 2009

  The not-necessarily-obvious thing is that none of the
parameter estimates change when you go from poisson,
binomial, etc. to their quasi- equivalents -- the variance
on all points is inflated by the same amount, so the
point estimates don't change.  So you can go ahead and
use the quasi- variant to get the estimated scale.

  I'm still struggling with exactly what "sigma" is in
the quasi- case (as is Doug Bates) -- it seems
NOT equal to the Pearson residuals^2/(resid df) ?

  It would be worth exploring this some more ...

  cheers
   Ben Bolker

set.seed(1001)
ntot <- 1000
x <- runif(ntot)
f <- rep(1:20,each=50)
reff <- rnorm(20,mean=0,sd=0.5)
y <- rnbinom(ntot,mu=exp(2*x-1+reff[f]),size=1)
library(lme4)

m1 <- glmer(y~x+(1|f),family=poisson)
m2 <- update(m1,family=quasipoisson)

lme4:::sigma(m1) ## 1
lme4:::sigma(m2) ## 1.04 (??)

## residuals returned are Pearson residuals
##  (uncorrected for overdispersion)

myres <- (y-fitted(m1))/sqrt(fitted(m1))
all.equal(myres,residuals(m1))
## not quite identical, but nearly
all(abs(myres-residuals(m1))<1e-4)

all.equal(residuals(m1),residuals(m2)) ## TRUE

sum(residuals(m1)^2)/ntot ## NOT sigmaML
m1 at deviance["sigmaML"]
m2 at deviance["sigmaML"]