[R-sig-ME] Lack of replies from me

Renaud Lancelot renaud.lancelot at cirad.fr
Mon Feb 9 11:26:42 CET 2009

Dear Douglas,

As a long-time user of nlme and lme4, and more generally your numerous
and invaluable contributions and support to the R community, I feel very
sad after your message. I hope a better solution will be found for you
and all of us , and I wish to bring you all my sympathy and support.

Best wishes,

Renaud

Douglas Bates a écrit :
> I regret that I have been absent from the list for some time.  It
> happens that in the last couple of weeks I have been involved in a
> series of extremely unpleasant interactions on another, private email
> list that have left me with little enthusiasm for developing and
> supporting CRAN packages.  One conclusion I have reached from these
> interactions is that I will never allow lme4 to be a recommended
> package in R.  I am even having doubts about whether I want it to
> continue to be a CRAN package at all, as opposed to, say, moving it to
> Bioconductor or even switching development to another language.
>
> I'm sure the last option would be "cutting off my nose to spite my
> face" and I don't expect I would ever do that.  There are many
> wonderful aspects to R and many reasons why I want to continue to use
> it.  But right now I find myself forced to evaluate options other than
> putting a package on CRAN.

Renaud Lancelot
EDEN Project, coordinator
http://www.eden-fp6project.net/

UMR CIRAD-INRA "Contrôle des maladies animales exotiques et émergentes"
Joint research unit "Control of emerging and exotic animal diseases"

CIRAD
Campus International de Baillarguet TA A-DIR / B
F34398 Montpellier
http://www.cirad.fr  http://bluetongue.cirad.fr/

Tel.  +33 4 67 59 37 17  -  Fax  +33 4 67 59 37 95
Secr. +33 4 67 59 37 37  - Cell. +33 6 77 52 08 69