[R-sig-ME] Mixed-models and condition number

Christina Bogner christina.bogner at uni-bayreuth.de
Thu Feb 5 09:12:49 CET 2009

Dear Stephan,

thank your very much for your response and the detailed list of
literature. I knew about Belsley (1991b) and used it on the design
matrix of the fixed-effects. My (absolutely empirical) results were the
following:

on  a small data set of 58 values and the mixed-effects model:
mymodel=lme(log(calcium) ~ soil.horizon+flow.region+content.of.silt,
data=mydata, random=~1|plot)
with soil.horizon and flow.region: factors
content.of.silt: continuous covariate

1. mean-centering the continuous covariate decreased the collinearity
between the intercept term and the continuous covariate
(summary.lme$corFixed and Belsley 1991b on the design matrix of
fixed-effects) and decreased kappa (of the design matrix of
fixed-effects) by factor 12.
2. scaling the covariate to obtain fixed-effects estimates of comparable
size decreased kappa by factor 4, but had no effect on correlation of
the fixed-effects.
3. I compared kappas of the mixed-effects design matrix and as proposed
by Douglas Bates of the "triangular matrix derived from the
fixed-effects model matrix after removing the random effects" in lme4:
the influence of mean-centering and scaling on kappa was comparable and
values of kappas of the triangular matrix and the design matrix of the
fixed-effects differed little for mean-centered and scaled model, but
largely for the non-scaled and non-centered one.

I will try to find a mathematician at my university who would like to
play around with mixed-models  ;-).

Thanks again

Christina