[R-sig-ME] Nested random factor

Renwick, A. R. a.renwick at abdn.ac.uk
Fri Jan 23 00:28:59 CET 2009

Thank you so much for your reply.
Can I just check the labelling of my data regards you comment "ensure that each distinct site has a distinct label - that is,
avoid "implicit nesting"".

for example:
7 farms, 14 margins (2 margins in each farm).  All margins sampled 4 times
DUMMY DATA:

Random effect specified as (1|Farm/Site)

Farm          Site               Sample period      Abundance
1                 1                     1                             10
2                 2                      1                              3
3                 3                      1                              2
4                 4                       1                             6
5                 5                        1                          13
6                 6                          1                        11
7                 7                     1                              12
1                 8                        1                            2
2                 9                          1                         3
3                 10                         1                          22
4                 11                       1                           1
5                 12                        1                           33
6                 13                        1                           2
7                 14                         1                          13
1                 1                          2                             13
2                 2                            2                             12
3                 3                            2                            11
4                 4                              2                              3
5                 5                             2                        6
6                 6                           2                             5
7                 7                               2                      4
1                 8                             2                         12
2                 9                              2                          24
3                 10                           2                      25
4                 11                          2                       3
5                 12                         2                        22
6                 13                          2                         23
7                 14                          2                          8

Many many thanks
Anna