[R-sig-ME] power analysis for multi-level models

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Jan 20 19:56:54 CET 2009

Here is some code to get you started (based on some assumptions that may be way off):

library(lme4)

sim1 <- function(bSex=0, bFreq=0, bSF=0, b0=1000, Vsubj=1, Vword=1, Verror=1) {
	Subject <- rep( 1:60, each=50 )
	Word <- rep( 1:50, 60 )
	Sex <- rep(c('M','F'), each=50*30)

	#  assume frequency is constant accross word, random from 1-100
	tmp <- sample( 1:100, 50, replace=TRUE )
	Frequency <- tmp[Word]

	# random effects per subject
	S.re <- rnorm(60, 0, sqrt(Vsubj))

	# random effects per word
	W.re <- rnorm(50, 0, sqrt(Vword))

	# epsilons
	eps <- rnorm(50*60, 0, sqrt(Verror))

	# put it all together
	ReactionTime <- b0 + bSex*(Sex=='M') + bFreq*Frequency + bSF*(Sex=='M')*Frequency +
		S.re[Subject] + W.re[Word] + eps

	# put into a data frame
	mydata <- data.frame( Subject = paste('s',Subject, sep=''),
					Word = paste('w', Word, sep=''), Sex=Sex, Frequency=Frequency,
					ReactionTime = ReactionTime)

	# analyze looking at interaction term with LR test
	fit1 <- lmer( ReactionTime ~ (Sex*Frequency) + (1|Subject) + (1|Word), data=mydata)
	fit2 <- lmer( ReactionTime ~ Sex + Frequency + (1|Subject) + (1|Word), data=mydata)
	anova(fit2,fit1)[2,7]
}

pb <- winProgressBar(max=100) # or tkProgressBar or txtProgressbar

setWinProgressBar(pb, 0)
out1 <- replicate( 100, {setWinProgressBar(pb, getWinProgressBar(pb)+1);
				sim1( bSex=10, bFreq=2, bSF=0.25, Vsub=4000, Vword=2500, Verror=10000)})
hist(out1)
mean( out1 < 0.05 )

####

Now edit the sim1 function to match your real situation (in any cases that I guessed wrong) and analysis.  Run the simulation for reasonable values (guesses) and see what the power is.  I usually start with about 100 runs just to get a feel in a reasonable amount of time, change the values and rerun the last 4 lines several times.  Once you have the values that you want to use, up the number of simulations (change the progress bar as well) to 1,000 or maybe even 10,000 (start it running at the end of the day, then go home and let it run over night) to get your final values.

You may want to include a table/graph that shows the power for different effects of the interaction term, etc.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center