[R-sig-ME] heteroscedastic model in lme4

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Jan 15 14:50:51 CET 2009

Arrrg, that whole level 1 level 2 thing eats me up. There are random
effects and everything else is just a covariate. Not quite sure what
your data are, but a random slope can account for the non-constant
variance. Just a random intercept is compound symmetry where random
intercept and slope is a more general covariance structure that allows
for the variance to be different over time.