[R-sig-ME] how to compute Confident intervals for BLUPS for lme function in nlme library

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 14 15:46:52 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Reinhold Kliegl
<reinhold.kliegl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, intervals() is a pretty good nlme response, I think, even if it
> was not exactly answering the question. The lme4 equivalent is
> doplot() which produces a so-called "caterpillar plot" of conditional
> means.

There's a typo there.  The function is dotplot(), not doplot().

> For example:
> ?ranef
>
> fm1 <- lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (Days|Subject), sleepstudy)
> rr1 <- ranef(fm1, postVar = TRUE)
> dotplot(rr1,scales = list(x = list(relation = 'free')))[["Subject"]]

> It is important to be clear about the distinction between random
> effect estimates of variances and correlations, provided as part of
> the model output and the conditional means for groups/units based on
> ("predicted with") them. At least, correlations computed from
> conditional means can differ strongly from the correlation estimates.
> The short story: You should only trust the model estimates. As Greg
> Lee said, conditional means are to be handled with care; you can not
> apply any of the usual inferential statistics to them. Nevertheless,
> the caterpillar plots are highly informative and diagnostic about, for
> example, whether you need a random effect to account for unit-by-unit
> variability. They may also lead you to  discover distinct subgroups
> suggestive of a fixed effect (for a future model). There is a
> manuscript at the top of my publications page for download (and
> constructive feedback) walking through an example.

I agree with all of the above.  As Reinhold says, the BLUPs are the
conditional mean vector of the distribution of the random effects
given Y = y, the observed data and evaluated at the parameter
estimates.  Sometimes I use the term "conditional modes".  For a
linear mixed model the conditional distribution is multivariate
Gaussian so the mean and the mode coincide.  In generalized linear
mixed models or nonlinear mixed models they do not necessarily
coincide and what is calculated is the conditional mode.

The intervals shown in the dotplot come from the evaluation of the
conditional means and the conditional variances of the random effects
given the observed data.  You can obtain the conditional variances by
including the argument postVar = TRUE in a call to ranef. (The
argument is "postVar" and not "condVar" because the person who
requested it used the term "posterior variance", which is what this is
if you take a Bayesian or empirical Bayes approach.)