[R-sig-ME] Commonly observed error message in lmer

Daniel Ezra Johnson danielezrajohnson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 12:22:04 CET 2008

This error came up earlier in the year and Doug Bates wrote:

>This call is returning a warning about evaluation of the gradient at
>the initial values of the parameters.  I'm not sure if it then goes on
>to optimize the approximated deviance.

>If the approximated deviance is not being minimized for this model you
>may want to start with a simpler model, omitting some of the terms in
>the fixed effects.

Your fixed effects don't seem too complicated but there is a certain
inherent non-independence between ClutchSize and HO (hatching order).
For example if ClutchSize is 1 then HO must be 1. I wonder if that's
what's causing the problem?

Maybe you could try fitting separate models for each ClutchSize and
observe the HO effect separately (when ClutchSize > 1)?

You could also add a random slope as you said you wanted, that would
be done with a term (HO|NestID).

Hope this helps,
Dan