[R-sig-ME] mixed model with non-continuous numeric response

Robert Kushler kushler at oakland.edu
Mon Dec 22 23:15:49 CET 2008

Daniel,

I think one of the ordinal response models discussed in sections 2-4
of chapter 7 of Agresti's "Categorical Data Analysis" (second edition)
would be appropriate here.  Section 12.4 briefly discusses adding random
effects to such models.  It's not clear to me how to accomplish this
using the lme4 package (but of course "This is R.  There is no if. ...").

A fallback strategy would be to run various mixed-effect binary response
models (using different cut points on the ordinal scale) separately, and see
how consistent the results are.

You may find the "lrm" function in Frank Harrell's Design package useful
for some of the alternatives to the cumulative logit model (though it doesn't
handle random effects).

Regards,   Rob Kushler