[R-sig-ME] naive questions about model building and error output

Luciano La Sala lucianolasala at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Dec 19 20:28:44 CET 2008

Dear R-experts,
Quite new to R on this end, so I hope toy can help me out here:

I am running version 2.7.1 on Windows Vista. I have small dataset which consists of:

# NestID: nest indicator for each chicken. Siblings sharing the same nest have the same nest indicator.

# Chick: chick indicator consisting of a unique ID for each single chick.

# Year: 1, 2.

# ClutchSize: 1-, 2- , 3-eggs.

# HO: hatching order within each clutch (1, 2, 3 [first, second and third-hatched chick]).

# SibComp: sibling competence: present/ absent (0, 1)

# Death10: death at ten days post-hatch (0, 1)

In order to account for lack of independence at the nest level (many
chicks are nested in nest... aha!), I'd like to run a GLMM with random slopes and intercepts for nests.

Using lmer, my model for survival at 10 days, for example, would read (or not!) as follows:

model1 <- lmer(Death10 ~ HO + ClutchSize + Sibcomp + Year + (HO+0|NestID) + (1|NestID), family=binomial, 1)

summary(model)

The output give me the following error:

Error en mer_finalize(ans, verbose) : q = 416 > n = 198

1. Whay does this error mean? I was told that my model fails to converge.

2. If so, is there any solution to a lack of convergence?

3. Maybe I could use a model with only random intercept (See below)?

model2 <-lmer(Death10 ~ HO + ClutchSize + Sibcomp + Year + (1|NestID), family=binomial, 1)

I look forward to receiving your two cent’s worth.

Best, Luciano

¡Buscá desde tu celular!

Yahoo! oneSEARCH ahora está en Claro

http://ar.mobile.yahoo.com/onesearch