[R-sig-ME] heteroscedastic model in lme4

Dimitris Rizopoulos d.rizopoulos at erasmusmc.nl
Fri Dec 19 18:31:09 CET 2008

I think not, because Anna wanted to model the variance of the within
measurement error terms not the variance of the random effects.

As far as I know, the design philosophy of lme4 is to allow for flexible
specifications of the random effects part of the mixed model that is
assumed to account for the main part of variability in the data.

Best,
Dimitris