[R-sig-ME] single argument anova for GLMMs (really, glmer, or dispersion?)

Murray Jorgensen maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz
Sat Dec 13 19:46:15 CET 2008

I thought I might note that zero-inflated count data and negative
binomial data can both be seen as cases where the response variable
follows a mixture distribution. In the ZIP case a mixture of a constant
[ Poisson(0) or Poisson(tiny) with another Poisson], in the negative
binomial case a gamma mixture of Poissons [which might be approximated
by a finite mixture].

John is "uneasy with glmer's restriction to models where the error
family variance can only be modified by addition on the scale of the
linear predictor." Mixtures would be one mechanism for introducing other
variance patterns into the model.

Murray Jorgensen