[R-sig-ME] single argument anova for GLMMs (really, glmer, or dispersion?)

Murray Jorgensen maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz
Sat Dec 13 08:51:41 CET 2008

I should have replied earlier to the kind comments Andrew and Doug made
earlier on my contrast between quasilikelihood 'models' and GLMMs,
however I am being invaded by sons, daughters in and out of law and a
grandson.

I tried to be neutral in this comparison but I will 'come out' here and
admit that my preference is for fully-explicit probability models for
the data. It seems to me that without this you don't have a clear
meaning for the parameters that you are estimating. John says "I have no
problem, in principle, with one fitting method that reflects multiple
possible models once one gets down to detail." This may be psychological
  but I would have to say that I *do* have a problem with that.

Because data can be generated from fully-specified models it seems to me
that there is scope for a computer experiment comparing the results of
both fitting methods to data generated from a known model. Just because
the data would be generated from a known GLMM it need not mean that the
GLMM estimates from fitting the correct model would be superior. I
imagine that quasi approaches might do well in small samples.

Clearly the design of such a computer experiment would need to be
carefully thought out. It would probably better to design around a
particular real situation than to try for great generality.