[R-sig-ME] Sample size and mixed models

Robert Kushler kushler at oakland.edu
Fri Dec 12 15:21:15 CET 2008

I would argue that the larger value (individuals) is always more appropriate
than the smaller value (clusters).  However, the more important issue is
that the "ungrouped" version of the likelihood should be used for these
calculations.  Using the "grouped data" likelihood omits the within cluster
variation and inflates the estimate of predictive power.

Regards,   Rob Kushler