[R-sig-ME] single argument anova for GLMMs not yet implemented

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed Dec 10 16:56:38 CET 2008

R.S. Cotter wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Sorry if the question i stupid, I'm pretty new to this and have
> googled, and tried the help in R without finding a answer.
>
> I have sucsessfully used glmm, lmer {lme4}, family binomial. By using
> the summary (mod), I get the parameter estimates, but when using anova
> (mod) I get this error message: Error in anova(mod) :  single argument
> anova for GLMMs not yet implemented.
>
> I'm used to run lme {nlme} by using both summary () and anova (), is
> that impossible when running glmm, lmer {lme4}?
>
> Thanks for help

  Not stupid.  (The only stupid questions are not-doing-your-homework
ones.)

  What information are you hoping to glean from anova(mod) ?
If it is p-values for individual predictors, or information
about "residual degrees of freedom", you're probably out of
luck: see the oft-repeated questions on this list and the FAQ entry
for why that's hard.

  (Feel free to write back to clarify what you have in mind --
but be warned that the answer is probably something along the
lines of "lme4 doesn't work that way, you're still thinking
in the classical sums-of-squares paradigm" ...)

  Ben Bolker

--
Ben Bolker
Associate professor, Biology Dep't, Univ. of Florida