[R-sig-ME] Out of memory with spatial correlation.

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Tue Dec 9 15:01:44 CET 2008

Thierry

One option is to switch to lmer rather than lme. Of course, with lmer
you don't have the same options for correlation structures. So, what you
might consider is to "pre-whiten" your data using the methods outlined
in Pinhiero and Bates and then run the model using lmer.

In fact, that is what lme does. It "pre-whitens" the data and then runs
the model under normal assumptions. The only difference here is that you
would need to pre-whiten manually.