[R-sig-ME] lme4 and false convergence

Ken Beath ken at kjbeath.com.au
Wed Nov 26 11:29:29 CET 2008

On 26/11/2008, at 12:46 AM, Ben Zuckerberg wrote:

> Dear R-users,
>
> I am using the most updated package of lme4 (lme4_0.999375-2).  I
> have a data set consisting of ~900 observations at ~440 independent
> survey sites.  There are an unbalanced number of surveys at each
> site.  I am attempting to develop several models evaluating the
> presence/absence of a species (PRES) at these random sites (SITE)
> using a number of predictor variables.  The response variable (PRES)
> is binomial and the included predictor variables are either
> proportions (e.g., AG, FOR, OPEN, LDEV,or DEV) or numerical
> (COUNT[min. 1 to max. 37,mean = 10]).
> PROBLEM 1:
>
> I have developed the following GLMM:
>
> mix.1<-glmer(PRES~AG+FOR+OPEN+LDEV+DEV+COUNT+(1|
> SITE),family=binomial,data=merge1)
>
> I receive the following error:
> Warning message:
> In mer_finalize(ans) : false convergence (8)
>
> There is model output, but I am worried it might be biased.
> I have tried:
> -Data transformation of the predictor variables (e.g., log(COUNT)),
> which does seem successful in some simpler models, but does not work
> consistently.
> -The most updated version of lme4

This is difficult without the output.

Possibly there is a high correlation within sites. Try using the
adaptive Gauss-Hermite option with nAGQ=5 or more.

It may also indicate a close to complete separation indicated by a
large parameter estimate. There is not much that can be done if a
parameter close to perfectly predicts.

Ken