[R-sig-ME] Variance-covariance matrix for normalized residuals in lme

Wiener, Matthew matthew_wiener at merck.com
Tue Nov 25 20:09:01 CET 2008

Thanks for your reply.  I played around with the getVarCov.lme function
for a little while.   The code indicates that you can only have a single
level of random effect, and I pass that test with a random effect for
subject only.  However, my correlation structure on the residuals
depends on two levels - correlations occur within subject and date.

The two levels there seem to cause a problem, as the
corMatrix(obj$modelStruct$varStruct) has names that indicate subject and
day, while we try to take levels of them by subject only.

It does look as though the calculations should still work, and at any
rate now I can find some of these things.

Regards,

Matt