[R-sig-ME] lmer and warming message when using method=ML

Renwick, A. R. a.renwick at abdn.ac.uk
Mon Nov 24 15:20:52 CET 2008

When you use a lmer model you have to use the command REML=FALSE instead of method=ML.

One thing to note also is that when you use an lmer model in at not possible at present to use the REML method.

Doug Bates replyed to my question asking just that on the 17th Sep "The REML criterion is not defined for generalized linear mixed models. Well, at least I don't know of a definition that makes sense for GLMMs. "
Hope that helps,
Anna