[R-sig-ME] fitting models with poisson distributed data

Page E. Van Meter vanmete7 at msu.edu
Sat Oct 25 00:37:09 CEST 2008

Hi,
Now that I have the code figured out, I hoping for some help on defining
my model. I might be guilty of trying to fit an overly complex model to
my data, although my model seems very simple in comparison to what has
been discussed here. I'm hoping for feedback on my model design. Thanks
in advance!

I have some pretty ugly longitudinal data measuring hormones and
behaviors from individual hyenas over many years (355 samples from 39
individuals). We collect hormone samples based on opportunity and have
several samples from each individual (3-9 samples per hyena). My
ultimate goal is to see if my hormone data explains any of the variation
we see in the behavior data (aggression, I'll call it aggs). My
dependent measurement is a behavior rate, count of aggs over time just
prior to hormone sample collection. It is very zero heavy (lots of
individuals did not aggress prior to hormone sample donation) and
resistant to transformation to normality, but seems to be a pretty
poisson distribution. My predictors are hormones and reproductive state
(pregnant or lactating, which effect both aggression and hormones).

m2<-lmer(aggs~reprostate+hrm1+hrm2+(1|id), family=poisson, aggs)

Generalized linear mixed model fit using Laplace
Formula: aggs ~ reprostate + hrm1 + hrm2 + (1 | id)