[R-sig-ME] Generalized mixed models for poisson distributions

Page E. Van Meter vanmete7 at msu.edu
Fri Oct 24 22:41:24 CEST 2008

Thanks!
To clarify the simple mistake I was making for possible future novice
readers of this mailing list:
I did not understand that the glm function cannot handle random effects
(which Faraway NEVER mentions in his book). I also did not understand
that glmer and lmer can both handle non-linear data as long as the
"family" is specified.

I am very comfortable with linear models, linear mixed effect models,
and non-linear models, but I have been having a lot of trouble tackling
non-linear mixed effect models. I really do wish we could all agree on
terms for these models (GLM is used for both general linear mixed models
and generalized mixed models in many fields). Anyway, these were very
rudimentary stumbling blocks that were not immediately apparent to me,
so hopefully this will clarify for others.
Thanks again,
-Page

--
Page E. Van Meter