[R-sig-ME] [Fwd: Re: Wald F tests]

Murray Jorgensen maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz
Mon Oct 13 21:53:21 CEST 2008

Not that Doug needs my support but his support of the likelihood ratio
as the right thing to be looking at regardless of any calibration
difficulties strikes a chord with me. There is a famous Tukey quote that
I can perhaps bend into service here:

“Far better an approximate answer to the right question, than the exact
answer to the wrong question, which can always be made precise.”

In this context I take the "right question" to be interpretation of the
likelihood ratio and the "wrong question" to be the local properties of
the fitted "larger" model.

Murray Jorgensen