[R-sig-ME] Singular estimated var-cov

francois.mercier at novartis.com francois.mercier at novartis.com
Thu Oct 9 14:39:56 CEST 2008

francois.mercier at novartis.com
Sent by: r-sig-mixed-models-bounces at r-project.org
10/09/2008 08:37 AM

r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org
cc

Subject
[R-sig-ME] Singular estimated var-cov

Dear list members,

I try to fit a model (using lmer) to data recorded at 4 time points
(days). Each such time series corresponds to a distinct subject. There are

two treatment groups. There is also a patient-level covariate ("o" or
"b").  I am attaching the data frame (as a binary R object) and the R
script that loads the data frame and fits the models.

The questions are 1) whether the drug effect is influenced by the
covariate, and 2) whether there is a temporal trend in drug effect over
days.

The problem is that according LMER the covariance matrix for this problem
is singular, and as a result the fitted models do not capture the
variability of slopes that is seen in the data. Apparently there is a
strong correlation between some parameters that leads to this singularity
? Perhaps I misspecified the model for LMER (and LME) ?

Thank you very much for your help!
Best regards,

Francois