[R-sig-ME] generalized linear mixed models: large differences when using glmmPQL or lmer with laplace approximation

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Oct 7 20:31:20 CEST 2008

You make reference to my comment below, but I think you overstate my position a bit (the words in quotes are not a direct quote of what I said).

The original poster mentioned that 2 different methods gave 2 different models, one possibility is that one method gave a wrong model (biased in a non-good way), another possibility is that the predictor variables are correlated enough that there are multiple good models.  I merely pointed out that comparing the predicted values to the original values would be one way to possibly distinguish between the 2 cases.

Focusing too much on the predicted values can lead to overfitting, so we should not depend only on that.  P-values are useful in some cases, so I would not say "don't worry about the p-values" as a general statement.

The issue of editors wanting p-values even when they answer the wrong question is part of the result of statisticians doing to good a job of training other researchers.  Now it is our responsibility to continue to train them as to when to use certain tools.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org