[R-sig-ME] ML or REML for LR tests

Ken Beath ken at kjbeath.com.au
Tue Sep 23 00:59:39 CEST 2008

On 11/09/2008, at 5:01 AM, Austin Frank wrote:

> First off, thanks to all who have responded to the series of
> questions I
> asked!
>
> On Fri, Aug 29 2008, Ken Beath wrote:
>
>> On 29/08/2008, at 2:47 PM, Austin Frank wrote:
>>
>>> 3) Is it the case that LR tests between REML models with different
>>> random effects are meaningful?  Does this apply to both nested and
>>> non-nested models?
>>>

>> Maybe, but only for nested (see Q2). Supposedly it works better than
>> ML. The significance tests wont be correct but if there is a huge
>> significance level then there is probably a random effect. Simulation
>> seems a better idea.
>
> Ken was the only one to address this particular point, and I want to
> make sure I've got it straight.  Are REML-based likelihood-ratio tests
> (presumably not performed with anova.mer, as that sets REML=FALSE on
> the
> call to logLik) an acceptable method for testing nested models with
> different random effects specifications?

This is discussed in Pinheiro and Bates. It is not statistically
correct, so probably isn't a good idea for a publication. I recommend
reading the sections in Verbeke and Molenberghs book on Linear Mixed
Models. I have used AIC.

The easiest way to avoid choices is to decide that certain parameters
must be modelled by random effects based on medical, biological etc
considerations.

Ken