[R-sig-ME] models with no fixed effects

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Fri Sep 12 02:19:04 CEST 2008

Not including an intercept term can indeed induce
spurious correlation in linear regression, this
issue is reviewed in Richard Kronmal's excellent paper

 Spurious Correlation and the Fallacy of the Ratio Standard Revisited
 Richard A. Kronmal
 Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series A
  (Statistics in Society), Vol. 156, No. 3 (1993), pp. 379-392

which could no doubt be readily extended to cover
mixed effect models by A Real Statistician.

The cost of including an intercept term is small
relative to the havoc that can be reaped by not
including one.

Steven McKinney